APA LA OFF THE CLOCK 2020
CALL FOR ENTRIES FINAL DEADLINE: Feb 4, 2020 (NOON PACIFIC)
APA LA OFF THE CLOCK EXHIBITION OPENING: April 25, 2020
APA LA is pleased to announce the ninth annual OFF THE CLOCK curated photo competition and exhibit. OFF THE CLOCK is the pre-eminent opportunity to present your inspired personal photography to the world. Each year APA LA invites a well-respected, influential visionary from the international photo community to contribute their talent towards curating this prestigious exhibition. This year we are honored that David Fahey has accepted our invitation to apply his unique vision in carefully selecting his top one hundred images from all submissions.
Once the curator has chosen her/his 100 favorite images, the winners' work begins to gain exceptional exposure among the leading advertising, publishing and graphics firms in the country.
First, all selected work will be matted, framed and featured during the much-anticipated industry-wide gala opening reception blowout. The guest list for this gala reception includes prominent members of the advertising, publishing and graphics industries–with special invitations sent to top creatives in the Southern California region. Then, after the opening gala reception, the selected framed images will be shown in rotating exhibitions among multiple leading Southern California advertising agencies throughout the summer of 2020. Past agencies have included Saatchi & Saatchi Los Angeles, Ignited, RPA, and David & Goliath. To further expose your work to the industry, we will display the complete exhibition on our website for a full year, so your finest personal work will be available to thousands more clients, globally.
SHOW YOUR FINEST PERSONAL WORK
OFF THE CLOCK is easy to enter with no confusing categories, no image series restrictions, and no creation date restrictions. The most important parameter is that your submitted work should be strong, original, creative and truly personal. Entries may be black and white, duotone, or color, and should be self-commissioned and must represent what you consider to be your finest personal work. Our easy-to-use online submission interface allows you to enter as many images as you like! What are you waiting for? Give it your best shot. Show the world your personal vision.
Note: Alternative print processes (copper plate, tin type, etc.) are acceptable with an additional framing fee. The curator will limit the number of selects from any one entrant to a maximum of four.
All framing cost will be billed to the winners.
APA Member Entry Fee: $20 per image
APA Non Member Entry Fees: $40 per image
By entering The APA Off The Clock Curated Exhibit, Entrants:
1. Warrant to APA LA that they have created and own all rights to the work submitted (including all elements of the work) and that nothing within any work has been copied or added from another person’s work.
2. Warrant that the whole copyright and any other form of intellectual property right in the work is vested in them and does not infringe the rights of any other person.
3. Warrant that they have not in any way assigned, licensed, disposed of, or otherwise encumbered any of their intellectual property rights which allow them to deal freely with the work and the copyright therein.
4. Warrant that they have obtained appropriate model or property releases from any persons and/or property owners requiring such, featured in their submitted photographs allowing publication in any and all media forms.
5. Acknowledge and agree that APA LA may exhibit or otherwise display their work during APA LA sponsored events, as well as on the APA LA website and APA LA promotional materials,
6. Acknowledge and agree that APA may reproduce and may allow reproduction of winning images in APA approved publications and promotional materials. Credit will be given to the photographer for any image(s) used.
7. Acknowledge that APA LA relies fully upon the warranties and license given by Entrants when submitting their entries for consideration to The APA LA Off The Clock Curated Exhibit. Entrants shall indemnify and hold APA harmless from any claims, actions, proceedings, costs and expenses arising out of or related to any allegation that the relevant Entrant did not own or is not wholly entitled and authorized to allow publication and reproduction of the work by APA LA.
8. Acknowledge and agree that APA LA reserves the right to disqualify any winner not providing the required personal information, headshot, and/or winning image in the requested file format and size within two weeks of APA's request via the contact information supplied by the entrant. Replacement winners will be selected at the curator's discretion.
9. Acknowledge that curating is a blind process. Photographer's names will only be disclosed to the curator after the curating process has been completed. The decision of the curator of the competition shall be final and binding.
10. Acknowledge and agree that contest winners will pick up or arrange for the return of their print(s) at the contest winner's expense within 30 days of notification that their print(s) are ready for pickup. If a contest winner does not pick up the print(s) or make arrangements for the print(s) to be picked up before the expiration of the 30 - day period, APA LA will have no further obligation to retain the print(s) and may, in APA LA's absolute discretion, destroy or dispose of the print(s), including frames, without any further notice to contest winners.
11. Acknowledge and agree that winning images from past APA Off The Clock competitions are not eligible for submission and consideration in subsequent APA Off The Clock competitions.
12. Acknowledge that entrants retain full copyright to their images and grant no usage to APA other than those granted herein.
13. APA, APA LA, the Sponsors, or Venues showing an exhibition of winners shall not be liable for any loss or damage of any entry.
14. Acknowledge and agree that submission of an entry to the competition automatically constitutes the contestant's acceptance of all terms and conditions set forth in these rules. It also acknowledges and accepts the right of APA to use the photographer's likeness and information, as well as the winning images, in exhibitions and promotions, in any and all forms of print, electronic and digital media, related to APA LA Off The Clock Curated Exhibit following the 2020 Competition winners announcement.
15. Acknowledge that the deadline for entries is FEBRUARY 1, 2020. Entry fees cannot be refunded, once submitted.
16. Acknowledge that winners will be announced on/or about April 2020.
1. Only digital images are accepted through our online submission process.
2. Image size no smaller than 800 pixels on the long side and at most 1280 pixels, 72 dpi, sRGB color profile, with no visible identifying text/symbols
3. Image files need no unique title by the entrant. Image files are identified to the entry and assigned an arbitrary ID for the "blind" judging.
4. A single entry is one image.
5. Sorry, no panoramas, diptychs or triptychs will be accepted.
6. There is no limit on the number of single entries submitted.
7. You may not enter an image that has won Off The Clock in previous years.
8. You may not enter substantially similar images that have won Off The Clock in previous years
9. There is no restriction on when the entry image is created
10. Agencies have the right to dismiss from the Off The Clock Agency Summer Rotation any image that they deem as objectionable.
11. A maximum of 5 images by the same artist may be selected for Off The Clock.
12. You do not need to be an APA member to enter the contest, but members receive a discount on entry fees.
13. Anyone claiming APA membership must be current in their dues at the time of entry and when winners are announced
Questions? Please email: email@example.com
• All files must be jpgs with a file size limit of 10mb.
• Simple file naming conventions please do not use special characters like @, #. (it will corrupt the image)
Title name is not seen by judge so it is ok to use your name in the title.
• Image size no smaller than 800 pixels on the long side and at most 1280 pixels
• Color profile is sRGB, image resolution 72ppi
• Images should have no visible identifying text/symbols; entries are assigned an arbitrary ID for the "blind" judging.
• Single image entries only
ONLY THE 100 ACCEPTED EXHIBITOR IMAGES NEED TO BE PRINTED & MATTED
All of the final accepted entries (as determined by our curator) must be printed as high quality single image prints, and must be window matted and mounted on white, or off-white mat board with outer mat dimensions of 16 x 20 only. Floating mats are acceptable for an additional fee. Mattless, full frame images are also acceptable. Be sure to clearly print your last name on the back of the mat, and also on the mat back write “TOP” on the top for frame orientation. You will have nearly two-weeks to print and mat your images & drop them off for framing.
Winners' images will be custom framed under Plexiglas in a high quality matte black finished studio stem molding wood frame by Reclaimed Frame. To keep framing costs down, APA LA has negotiated a non-profit volume discount of $90 (including tax) for each 16 x 20 frame. There is no APA frame markup, no hanging fees, and the framed piece is yours to keep. Winners are required to deliver all matted prints, along with framing costs to APA LA before March 14, 2020.
The dates and times for winners to pick up their framed art will be emailed to winners at the end of the run of show. Any pieces not picked up by the final pick up deadline, as stipulated in Rule 10, will be disposed of at the discretion of APA LA.
About APA: American Photographic Artists (APA) is celebrating its 40th year as a leading national trade organization run by and for professional photographers. With a culture that promotes a spirit of mutual cooperation, sharing and support, APA offers outstanding benefits, educational programs and essential business resources to help its members achieve their professional and artistic goals. With chapters in Atlanta, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, San Diego, San Francisco, Charlotte, the Northwest and Washington, DC, APA strives to improve the environment for photographic artists and clear the pathways to success in the industry. Recognized for its broad industry reach, APA continues to expand benefits for its members and works to champion the rights of photographers and image-makers worldwide.
About The Curator: David Fahey is the influential owner and director of the renowned Fahey/Klein Gallery in Los Angeles. David has been a leader in the photo industry for over 45 years and has introduced and exhibited over 500 artists in his career, including such notable photographers as Irving Penn, Horst P. Horst, Peter Beard, Man Ray, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Joel-Peter Witkin, Mary Ellen Mark, James Nachtwey, Bruce Weber, Allen Ginsberg, Tina Modotti, Edward Weston, Herb Ritts, Jim Marshall, George Hurrell, Annie Leibovitz, Sebastião Salgado, Mark Seliger, Dan Winters and Frank Ockenfels III, among others.
Questions? Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org